How to Apply
Application to The Ohio State University Department of Psychiatry is done through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). After we have received your file with the necessary information it will be considered complete and eligible for review. Those individuals receiving interviews will then need to schedule their interview.
Interviews are generally conducted on Mondays and Fridays to minimize applicant travel issues and disruption of their schedules or rotations. Applicants may choose to attend dinner with current residents on the evening prior to their scheduled interview day. On interview day, you will meet with various faculty members, the program director, and residents. You will have lunch with a group of residents. In addition, you will receive a tour of our psychiatric facilities. The interview day will last from approximately 8 a.m. until early afternoon. Depending on the hotel, transportation may be provided. If you express an interest in a particular aspect of psychiatric practice, we may be able to coordinate interviews with faculty members with those same interests.
We offer 6 postgraduate first-year positions annually. Our current residents are from across Ohio, across the United States, and from other parts of the world. One of the strongest aspects of our Psychiatry program is the diversity of our residents and the sense of friendship we share.
Requirements for International Residency Applicants:
- Completed medical school within five years of residency application.
- Six months of clinical experience at a hospital or clinic in the United States, with a portion of this being Psychiatry.
- Three letters of reference from U.S. physicians.
- Applicant must be ECFMG certified.
- Successful completion of Clinical Skills Assessment Exam is required.
- COMLEX or USMLE Steps I and II must be completed, and Step III is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- All applications are taken over ERAS.
- We sponsor J-1 Visa, but not an H-1 Visa.
Due to patient confidentiality considerations, the OSU Department of Psychiatry does not offer externships.